Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ann Taylor Loft inspired bow cuff bracelet

Last week I was browsing around Ann Taylor loft for jewelry and fashion inspiration. I saw this cuff bracelet. In case no one has noticed, I'm into big chunky jewelry right now.


It's not a bad price, but I still thought that I could make one for less and that it would be fun to do also. So I did. Here's my version:


Mine does not have rhinestones. And to tell you the truth, I didn't notice the rhinestones in the Ann Taylor loft version to begin with.

I'm not a good tutorial writer, but I did take a few pictures of the steps and will try to explain.

I ordered a 2-inch aluminum cuff blank from here. I got a 99-cent fake leather belt from the Good Will. (I'd say this is a fabulous upcycle for this belt.) You'll also need some black felt. It was already in my stash, along with Beadalon medium curb silver plated chain.


I cut off a portion of the belt and glued it to the cuff blank with Fabri-Tac adhesive. Cut it a little wider and fold the edges to the inside. I used some binder clips to hold my "leather" on while it dried.



I glued some felt on the inside. I cut two strips from the belt a little narrower than the cuff. I cut one strip longer than the other. I stitched my strips together so they formed bands.



Then I stacked the shorter one on top and pinched them together. I wrapped them with a piece of the chain. I actually stitched the end of the chain to the back of the bows with needle and thread to start and then stitched down the end when I finished wrapping. I then glued my bow to the cuff. It was fairly quick and easy!
Here are couple of self-portraits of me modeling my $7.00 cuff. (Really it's cheaper that that because I still have part of the belt, some felt, and chain left over for other projects.)



Thanks for looking.

14 comments:

  1. You did a fantastic job! This is so stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Very Cool! Great job for saveing that belt from a life of ugly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love it! It looks just as good as the Ann Taylor one. I'm your newest follower. Love your playlist. You have good taste in music. :) Thanks for checking out my Halloween Rag Wreath over at A Little Bit of Everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT!!! I am hosting a Thursday Linky called Thrilling Thursday. I would love for you to stop by and link up!
    Thrilling Thursdays @Paisley Passions
    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up! Hope you can join in again next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute idea! I wonder if you could also use a recycled pop can. It would be covered... soo.... it might work. I know what I will be working on this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly fantastic!! I just love how chic it is!! :D Thank you oh so very much for linking your creations up at my party today! Wishing you a wonderful weekend,
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely gorgeous!! Thanks for the comment on my fabric necklace! :)
    I love your blog and now am a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awesome! I love it. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so awesome, I love it! I may just have to see what I have in my stash to make one of these babies!! Thanks for visiting Wingledings! I'm glad you liked the Loft Inspired necklace, come back again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.

Site Meter